John Smith concentrates his practice in civil litigation with extensive experience in medical malpractice.
With more than 35 years of experience representing clients in both state and federal courts, he skillfully navigates the unique challenges his clients face in environmental litigation, medical malpractice and product liability, including pharmaceutical products and business litigation, to bring about advantageous results on their behalf.
Prior to joining Foran Glennon, John served as a shareholder at a prominent Chicago litigation firm.
John is a member of the Illinois State Bar Association, the Chicago Bar Association, the American Bar Association and the Defense Research Institute.
He serves on the board of directors of The Society of Trial Lawyers and is a long-time board member of the International Academy of Dispute Resolution.
John has served as a lecturer at Notre Dame Law School, John Marshall Law School, Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland and the Chicago Bar Association.
Honors & Recognitions
John is Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent rated, indicating the highest ranking in legal ability and ethical standards as determined by peers.
From 2006 to 2014, he was selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers list, which is reserved for less than five percent of lawyers in each state.
More information on awards and rankings can be found here.
John earned his J.D. from Notre Dame Law School after completing his B.A. at the University of Notre Dame.
John is authorized to practice in Illinois, the United States Supreme Court and the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Publications & Presentations
- “Successful Mediation: Civil Liability and Court’s Act 2004,” Implications for Personal Injury Litigation, First Law, 2005
- “Hospital and Institutional Liability,” Medical Malpractice, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 1996
- “Institutional Negligence,” Medical Malpractice, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 1989, and Supplement, 1992
- “Preparation of Defendant’s Case,” Medical Hospital Negligence, Callaghan & Company, 1988
- “Handling Insurance Claims in Illinois,” Professional Education System Inc., 1985
- “Physician-Patient Privilege: Interview Between Plaintiff’s Physicians and Defense Attorneys,” Chicago Bar Journal, 1984
- “The Supreme Court Workload Problem: Current Congressional Reforms,” Journal of Legislation, 1982