Partner Sharon Hightower concentrates her practice on the defense of medical and psychological malpractice, employment litigation, personal injury claims and product liability. She focuses on the defense of claim with analysis and evaluation for liability, offering clients a cost-effective and efficient process for handling claims. Sharon is well-equipped in handling law matters of all kinds, including appellate, administrative and civil lawsuits.
An experienced trial attorney, she has a superb record of defense verdicts, as well as leveraging the alternative dispute resolution process, and has formed a distinguished reputation among colleagues and clients. She also conducts fee arbitrations for the Santa Clara County Bar Association.
Prior to joining the firm, Sharon was a partner and shareholder at a statewide insurance defense firm for more than three decades where she was co-chair of the healthcare practice group and chair of the diversity committee. Before working as an attorney, she worked as a dental hygienist for 21 years which has been an asset to her work handling cases in the healthcare field.
Sharon serves on the Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee for the Superior Court and serves as the Chair and Hearing Officer for the City of San Jose Civil Service Commission. She has been a commissioner in various terms for the past 21 years.
She is a member of the California State Bar Association, the Santa Clara County Bar Association and the Northern California Association of Defense Counsel. She is also a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates.
Sharon has been a dedicated volunteer in the Superior Court’s Temporary Judge and Alternative Dispute Resolution programs for 17 years.
Honors & Recognitions
Sharon is Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Rated, indicating the highest ranking in legal ability and ethical standards as determined by peers in the legal community.
In 2013, Sharon was awarded the Justice Byrl R. Salsman Award from the Santa Clara County Bar Association for her contributions to the legal community and profession.
More information on awards and rankings can be found here.
Sharon received her J.D. from Lincoln University Law School in 1987 and obtained a B.A. from St. Mary’s College of California in 1983.
During law school, Sharon was President of the Student Bar and a member of the Law Review. She currently serves on the Lincoln University Law School’s Board of Trustees.
Sharon is authorized to practice in California, the U.S. District Court for the Northern, Eastern and Central Districts of California and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Publications & Presentations
- Panelist for “BAD FAITH: the ever expanding world of bad faith claims handling,” The Gavel Grub Club, November 2022
- “The Liability of Professionals to Non-Clients for Statements of Opinion,” The Gavel National Convention, 2020
- “Lawyers and Local Government: Public Service and Advocacy,” Santa Clara County Bar Association, 2015
- “An Introduction to Code of Civil Procedure Section 998 Offers to Compromise,” California State Bar Convention, 2013
- Seminar on fee agreements and billing, San Jose State International Studies and Lincoln University Law School, 2012
- Speaker on fee agreements and billing, Santa Clara County Bar Association, 2012
- Seminar on billing practices, Santa Clara County Bar Association Barristers, 2012
- “An Introduction to Expedited Jury Trials,” California Bar Association, 2012
- Seminar on expedited jury trials, Santa Clara County Bar Association, 2011
- “Expedited Jury Trials: The Why, When and How of the New California Law,” Santa Clara County Bar Association, 2011
- “The Psychology of Practicing Law – How to Stay Sane in the Trenches,” Lincoln University Law School Alumni, 2010