As a shareholder in the firm, John Eggum concentrates his practice on insurance coverage disputes and commercial litigation. He is regularly retained in a wide range of insurance coverage matters relating to property and casualty commercial lines disputes.
Insurance company clients turn to John for his innovative and effective handling of issues including property coverage litigation (fire, wind, hail, collapse, etc.), inland marine matters, and liability coverage litigation such as mass tort, products claims, cyber/technology liability and professional liability claims.
He also represents both private and public companies, including financial institutions, in commercial disputes around the country. John is frequently retained by insurers, banks and other creditors to provide representation in insolvency and bankruptcy proceedings.
Following law school, John served as law clerk to the Hon. Bruce A. Markell in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Nevada.
John earned two undergraduate degrees, a B.B.A. in Finance and a B.A. in Political Science, from The University of Iowa in 2005. He has a J.D., with distinction, from The University of Iowa College of Law in 2008.
John is admitted to practice in Illinois and in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
John is a member of the Board of Directors of the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel (IDC). He serves as the Vice-Chair of the IDC’s Legislative Committee and is the Legislative Columnist for the IDC Quarterly. For several years, John served as an appointed investigator for the Judicial Evaluation Committee of the Chicago Bar Association.
Honors and Recognition
John has been included on the Illinois Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers since 2016. Only 2.5% of the total attorneys under the age of 40 in Illinois earn this designation.
He is regularly recognized as an Emerging Lawyer by Leading Lawyers, a division of Law Bulletin Media. This distinction is conferred on less than 2% of attorneys in each state.
John was named a Chicago Lawyer 40 Under Forty attorney in 2020. The list recognizes the most talented young attorneys across the state of Illinois based on legal skill, success in their areas of practice and leadership within the community.
The American Lawyer recognized John on the 2022 Midwest Trailblazer list for his ability to utilize his educational background in finance to serve as a uniquely experienced resource in insurance coverage disputes with complex business interruption and time element components. The list highlights legal professionals making a difference in their respective regions.
John is also a recipient of the American Bankruptcy Institute’s Medal of Excellence.
More information on awards and rankings can be found here.
Publications & Presentations
- Overscoped: Strategies for Preventing and Dealing with Improperly Overblown Claims
Presentation at Western Loss Association 2021 Fall Conference
- Complex Causation Issues in Disputed Property Claims
Presentation at 2021 PLRB Claims Conference
- After the Flood: Environmental and Industrial Hygiene Claim Investigations
Presentation at Envista Forensics 2021 Webinar Series
- Back to the Future: Adjusting to Prevent, Plan, and Prepare for Litigation Challenges
Presentation at Western Loss Association 2019 Fall Conference
- “A ‘Selective’ Club – The Targeted Tender Doctrine Keeps Illinois in the Minority”,
Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel, IDC Quarterly Vol. 28, Issue 1 (2018)
- “Not Enough to Go Around: Insurer Duties in Situations Involving Multiple Claimants and Multiple Insureds,” New Appleman on Insurance, Current Critical Issues in Insurance Law, Summer 2015 ed.
- “Chapter 109: Impact of Bankruptcy in Insurance Matters,” New Appleman on Insurance Law Library Edition (Jeffrey E. Thomas ed.)
- “Protecting Lender Interest in Insurance Proceeds: Bankruptcy and UCC Considerations,” 25 Journal of Taxation and Regulation of Financial Institutions 33, November/December 2011
- “Saving Homes in Bankruptcy: Housing Affordability and Loan Modification,” 2008 Utah Law Review 1123
- Indemnity Insurance Co. of North America v. Westfield Insurance Co. and Star Insurance Co., 21-1776, 21-1927 and 21-1928 (7th Cir., 2023)
- Ramaco Resources LLC v. Federal Insurance Company et al., No. 2:19-cv-00703 (S.D. W.Va., 2022)